Turkish prosecutors on Thursday issued arrest warrants for 27 soldiers suspected of being members to FETO, the terror group behind the 2016 defeated coup in Turkey.
According to a statement of the Chief Public Prosecutor’s office in Ankara arrest warrants were issued for soldiers at the Turkish Naval Forces Command -- five of them serving -- over links to FETO’s so-called "imams".
The soldiers -- including captains, lieutenants and sergeants -- are accused of communicating with FETO members with pre-paid phone cards and pay phones. Police operations were underway to nab suspects across eight provinces in Turkey, the statement added. Source
6 detained in raid targeting entrepreneurs’ association in Turkey’s Antalya
A total of 16 people were taken into custody as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt, media reported Friday.
Detention warrants were issued for 18 people who are alleged to have ties with Antalya-based entrepreneurs’ associations that had been earlier closed under post-coup emergency rule. Police carried out operations at 19 different locations and rounded up 16 of the suspects.
Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement. Source
Turkey dismisses over 40,000 military personnel, cadets since coup attempt
The Turkish government has dismissed over 40,000 military personnel including gendarmerie and military cadets over alleged links to the Gülen movement since a coup attempt on July 15, 2016, the tr724 new website reported on Saturday.
According to the report compiled from pro-government newspapers, the highest number of personnel have been dismissed from the Turkish Land Forces, with 8,201. The government has also purged 4,215 military personnel from the Turkish Air Forces and 2,592 military members from the Turkish Naval Forces.
In addition, a total of 16,409 military cadets consisting of 4,090 military high school students, 6,140 students from the Vocational School for Noncommissioned Officers and 6,179 undergraduate students at the Military Academy, the Naval War College, the Air War Academy, the Gülhane Military Medical Academy and the Nursing College were dismissed by the government. Read the full article
Warrants out for soldiers over FETO links
Turkish prosecutors have issued arrest warrants for nine on-duty and former military commanders over their alleged links to Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), the group behind July 2016 defeated coup. According to a statement by the Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office in the capital Ankara, the warrants were issued for personnel of the Turkish Land Forces Command -- two of them serving. The suspects are accused of communicating with FETO members with pre-paid phone cards and pay phones periodically, the statement said.
Separately, at least 24 people, including ex-police officers, have been arrested in western Bursa province, police sources said on Monday.
Bursa Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office had issued arrest warrants for former 25 police officers, who were previously dismissed from their duties for their suspected links to the terror group, said the sources on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking to the media. The suspects were rounded up at the city center while the hunt for another suspect is underway.
In a separate anti-terror raid in two locations in Bursa city center, police nabbed 3 more suspected FETO members. One of the suspects were rounded up in the bathroom of a terror group’s house, where he was trying to delete the encrypted messaging application that the group uses, the sources said. On Saturday, 12 more suspected FETO members had been arrested in the organization’s cell houses in the same province. Source
Arrest warrants out for 37 FETO suspects
Turkish prosecutors on Tuesday issued arrest warrants for 37 school staffers, including teachers, over their alleged links to Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), the group behind the 2016 coup attempt. In a statement, Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office said it has issued warrants for the managers and teachers working at private schools called “Akilli” [Smart in English] in the capital Ankara.
According to the statement, Idris Yurteri, owner of the private school, who were allegedly using the terror group’s encrypted messaging application ByLock, is among the suspects. The statement noted Yurteri stayed at a hotel in Afyonkarahisar province in 2012 with Gokhan Sahin Sonmezates, who organized the assassination attempt on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Police squads started searching the schools located in 12 different locations in the capital. Separately, one FETO suspect was arrested as part of an anti-terror operation in northwestern Eskisehir province for “being a member of an armed terror organization.” Source
12 Turkish teachers detained as part of post-coup crackdown
At least 12 teachers were taken into custody as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement in Turkey’s capital, Ankara.
Media said Thursday that an Ankara prosecutor issued warrants for 12 teachers who used to work at a school which has been closed over its ties to the movement. Source
Detention warrants issued for 22 military personnel over alleged Gülen links
The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on Friday issued detention warrants for 22 military personnel who were dismissed following the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016 as part of an investigation into the faith-based Gülen movement, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.
According to the report, 11 of 22 officers have been detained in police operations in five provinces while 3 of the suspects were already noted to be in prison as part of other investigation into the Gülen movement.
The Turkish government has dismissed over 40,000 military personnel including gendarmerie and military cadets over alleged links to the Gülen movement since the failed coup attempt, the tr724 new website reported on Aug. 4.Source
* The date the source published the article.
11 - 20 August
Doctor, teacher, web developer detained while fleeing from Turkey to Greece
Yet another 3 people were caught while they were reportedly on their way to escape from Turkey with illegal means, media said Sunday. Gendarmerie rounded up the group near Turkey-Greece border in Edirne.
The group consists of a 28-year-old physician who was removed from his job over Gulen links; a 27-year-old teacher who used to work at a private school the government has closed down as part of the post-coup crackdown; and a 33-year-old web developer. Source
Owners of freezer company get prison sentence over terror charges
Mehmet Takmaklı and Zeynel Abidin Takmakli, the owners of Turkey’s leading freezer company, Ugur have been sentenced to 7.5 years in prison on charge of membership to a terror group.
Media reported Monday that the two were convicted of being a member of the Gulen movement, which the Turkish government sees a terrorist organization, a claim the group denies. Four others from the same family were given 3 years plus 45 days in jail on accusation of lending support to the movement, media noted.
An Aydın court ruled to seize Uğur along with 47 other enterprises over their alleged links to the Gulen movement in October, 2017. Unal Takmakli, the founder of the company who was jailed in July, 2016 on similar charges, died of heart attack in prison in November, 2016. Source
15 academics and university personnel to be detained over Gülen links
The Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office on Monday issued detention warrants for 15 academics and staff members from Ankara’s Hacettepe University as part of an investigation into the faith-based Gülen movement, the Birgün daily reported.
According to the report nine of the 15 being sought were taken into custody in police operations across three provinces.
Some of them were dismissed from their jobs by government decrees issued under a state of emergency that lasted two years after a coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016. Close to 140,000 civil servants and military personnel have been dismissed by government decrees.
The Turkish government accuses the Gülen movement of orchestrating the failed putsch, although the movement strongly denies it, and started a crackdown on the movement. A total of 17,085 people were detained over alleged Gülen links in the first seven months of this year. More than 400,000 people have been investigated over their affiliation with the movement so far, according to the Justice Ministry. Source
312 detained over Gülen links in past week
The Turkish Interior Ministry announced on Monday that 312 people were detained last week as part of investigations into the faith-based Gülen movement. A total of 17,085 people had been detained over alleged links to the movement by the end of July 2018.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government pursued a crackdown on the movement following corruption operations in December 2013 in which the inner circle of the government and then-Prime Minister Erdoğan were implicated.
Erdoğan also accuses the Gülen movement of masterminding a coup attempt in July 2016.
Despite the movement strongly denying involvement in the failed coup, Erdoğan launched a witch-hunt targeting the group following the abortive putsch.
The Turkish government on July 8 issued a decree-law firing 18,632 civil servants due to their alleged ties to “terrorist groups” and closing 12 associations, three newspapers and one TV station. According to the TurkeyPurge.com website, with the latest decree the total number of people dismissed after the 2016 coup attempt now exceeds 170,000.Source
Escort pilot to Turkey’s Erdoğan on coup night arrested as Gülenist
Turkish courts in İzmir and Konya have arrested twin brothers who piloted F-16s in the Turkish air force, including one who had worked as an escort protecting President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s official plane on coup night, independent news site Diken said .
Yunus and Emre Poyraz, assigned to the 192nd Tiger fleet as part of NATO, are charged with membership of the Gülen movement, a religious group following an exile preacher in Pennsylvania that stands accused of having carried out a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.
Their older brother, another pilot named İbrahim Poyraz, was already arrested on the grounds of having played an active role in the coup attempt.
But 29-year-old Yunus Poyraz would have been well vetted already, having flown planes as an escort to the president since the attempt took place. Source
Tax inspector gets 7.5 years in jail over terror charges
A Kayseri-based tax inspector, identified as M.A., was sentenced to 7 years and 6 months in prison over terror charges. In pre-trial detention as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement for some time now, M.A. appeared before the court for his final hearing on Aug 14.
He pleaded not guilty seeking for his release from the prison, however the court overseeing his case turned down the request. M.A. was given 7.5 years in jail on charge of membership to the Gulen movement. Source
Woman jailed pending trial over ByLock use in Turkey’s Karabuk
A 33-year-old woman, identified by her initials Z.T., was jailed pending trial over her alleged use of ByLock mobile app. Media said Wednesday that Z.T. is accused of membership to the Gulen movement.
Turkish authorities believe that ByLock is a communication tool among followers of the Gülen movement, accused of mounting the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt. The movement denies involvement.
Tens of thousands of people, including civil servants, police officers, soldiers, businessmen and housemakers, have either been dismissed or arrested for using ByLock since the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016. Source
A total of 221 people have been detained in the past week as part of a crackdown targeting alleged members of the faith-based Gülen movement, according to a statement issued by the Turkish Interior Ministry on Monday.
A total of 17,085 people had been detained over alleged links to the movement by the end of July 2018. Source
* The date the source published the article
21 - 31 August
5 FETO suspects arrested near Turkey’s Greek border
Turkish security forces have arrested five suspects with alleged links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), the group behind the 2016 defeated coup attempt, security sources said on Saturday.
The suspects, including women, were rounded up in the Edirne province near Turkey’s Greek border while trying to illegally cross to Greece, said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Some of them were accused of using the terror group’s encrypted messaging app ByLock, the sources added.
According to the Turkish government, FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 251 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary. Source
23 people detained in past week over Gülen links
A total of 23 people have been detained in the past week as part of a crackdown targeting alleged members of the faith-based Gülen movement, according to a statement issued by the Turkish Interior Ministry on Monday.
A total of 17,085 people had been detained over alleged links to the movement by the end of July 2018. Source
Judge who released chief coup plotter sentenced over FETÖ link
Cetin Sönmez, a judge who ordered the release of Adil Öksüz, the fugitive mastermind of the 2016 coup attempt, was sentenced to eight years and nine months in prison for membership of the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ). FETÖ is accused of using its infiltrators in the military to carry out the July 15, 2016 coup attempt that killed 250 people.
Appearing before a court in the capital Ankara, Sönmez denied charges against him. In earlier hearings, the defendant had claimed he did not "feel it was necessary" to keep Öksüz in custody as another judge had already imposed a travel ban on the suspect. Read the full article
17 FETÖ-linked gendarmerie officers detained in Ankara
A total of 17 gendarmerie officers were detained in capital Ankara on Wednesday for their alleged links to the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ), which is accused of behind the 2016 defeated coup in Turkey. Earlier, Ankara's Chief Public Prosecutor's office had issued arrest warrants for 34 suspects, 2 of whom were on-duty.
The suspects include six majors, two captains, three lieutenants, 14 petty officers of the General Command of Gendarmerie as well as nine civil imams of the FETÖ terror group. Source
High-ranking Gülenist fugitive Kemal Öksüz nabbed in Armenia on US arrest warrant
Kemal Öksüz, a high ranking member of the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ) dubbed as its "Houston imam," was arrested Wednesday in Armenia over a U.S. arrest warrant issued for breaching congress ethics and fraud.
Öksüz, who changed his name to Kevin after receiving U.S. citizenship, was being sought with a red notice by the Interpol, according Armenpress agency. Öksüz was running a business and an NGO in Armenia, according to the report.
Armenpress reported that Armenian police said Öksüz was being sought since the very first day of being declared wanted, and the Armenian police chief personally supervised the operations. Read the full article
22 warrants issued for soldiers over FETO links
Turkish prosecutors on Friday have issued arrest warrants for 22 active serving and former soldiers, over their alleged links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), the group behind July 2016 defeated coup. According to a statement from the Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office in the capital Ankara, the warrants issued are aimed at personnel of the Turkish Air Forces -- including six former pilots. The suspects are accused of communicating with FETO members, the statement said.
So far, eight suspects have been arrested in Ankara-based operations in 14 provinces. Separately, an Istanbul-based operation across 14 provinces saw the arrest of another 15 FETO suspects, according to a police source. The arrests came after the provincial chief public prosecutor’s office issued warrants for 52 suspects for allegedly using ByLock, an encrypted cellphone app used by coup-plotters. Source