Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım and the cabinet issued decree numbered 697 on Friday, returning 1,823 public sector workers to their jobs, firing 262 others and closing one television and one radio station, left-wing newspaper Evrensel said .
The 1,823 public workers returned to their jobs were all people falsely assumed to have been using ByLock, a mobile application that was used by members of the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government blames for the 2016 failed military coup.
However, 345 of those shown to downloaded the “Purple Brain” series of applications, which sent users to an IP used by ByLock, were not returned to their posts.
A further 262 public workers were fired by the decree, Evrensel said, including 106 employees of the National Education Ministry, 60 academics and 48 soldiers.
The decree also shut down two media outlets: Hatmar FM, a local radio station in Hatay province, and YEK TV, a documentary channel.
Turkey has dismissed 262 personnel from various institutions with a new statutory decree issued under the state of emergency.
The new statutory decree was published in the Official Gazette on Jan. 12. Under the decree, 48 personnel from the Turkish Armed Forces – including 44 soldiers – were expelled.
Among the dismissed, 18, including 16 soldiers, were from land forces, and 30 others, including 28 soldiers, were from naval forces.
The new decree also reinstated 1,823 people who had been dismissed from their jobs for allegedly using the ByLock app, an encrypted mobile phone application used by members of the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) to communicate during and after the 2016 coup attempt.
Among the reinstated were 81 land forces personnel, 20 naval forces personnel and 22 air forces personnel.
Reinstatements came after the Ankara Chief Prosecutor’s office said on Dec. 27, 2017 that 11,480 GSM number users were found to have been directed to the ByLock app “without their consent.”