|Since 15 July 2015*:
||Academics list jobs: 5.822
||Schools, dormitories and universities
|Media outlets shut down: 189
|Judges, prosecutors dismissed: 4.463
||Journalists arrested: 319
41 defendants given aggravated life sentences in İBB phase of coup trial
A high criminal court in İstanbul has handed down aggravated life sentences to 41 defendants due to their alleged role in the occupation of the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality (İBB) building and the killing of 14 people in the incidents there on the night of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.
There were a total of 52 defendants in the trial, which was concluded by the İstanbul 26th High Criminal Court on Friday. The İBB building was one of the places occupied by the putschists where 14 people including Professor İlhan Varank were killed. Varank was the brother of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s advisor Mustafa Varank.
The 41 defendants including former military officers were given aggravated life sentences on charges of attempting to destroy the constitutional order and the murder of 14 individuals. The court ruled for the acquittal of the remaining 11 defendants, all privates, due to a lack of evidence proving their involvement in the coup attempt. Read the full article
Nearly 50 FETO suspects arrested in Turkey
Police detained 49 suspects across Turkey for their alleged links to the Fetullah Terror Organization (FETO), the group behind the 2016 defeated coup attempt, according to a judicial source on Thursday.
Twelve out of 19 suspects sought by arrest warrants were detained in the western provinces of Izmir and Canakkale, in the capital Ankara, and in the eastern province of Van, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking to the media.
Separately, in southern Adana province 22 suspects, including serving army personnel, were rounded up by police for their alleged links to FETO. In the central province of Tokat, 14 former police officers and one teacher were arrested for being FETO members. Source
39 including ministry staff sought by prosecutor over Gülen links
The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office on Wednesday issued detention warrants for 39 people, including 11 former staff members of the Ministry of Family and Social Policy and the Economy Ministry, as part of an investigation into the faith-based Gülen movement, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.
According to the report the suspects are accused of using ByLock, a controversial mobile phone application. Source
Detention warrants issued for 49 soldiers in anti-Gülen probes
Detention warrants were issued on May 24 for 49 on duty and former soldiers in two probes linked to what the authorities call the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ).
The Adana Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued the warrants for 30 soldiers, with police seeking the suspects across 13 provinces.
A part of another investigation launched by the İzmir Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, the police are also seeking 19 suspects in the eastern province of Van, the capital Ankara, the western province of Çanakkale, and İzmir. Source
Turkey issues detention warrants for 109 suspects on alleged terror charges
Turkey issued detention warrants for 109 people over their suspected links to the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) on May 23, state-run Anadolu Agency reported, citing a judicial source.
The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office issued detention warrants for 39 suspects including 11 former employees of the Family and Social Policies Ministry after they were accused of using ByLock, an encrypted smartphone messaging application that is said to have been used by members of the network, the source speaking on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to media was quoted as saying.
Police have so far detained 13 suspects during simultaneous raids conducted in Ankara, the source said, adding that the operations to detain the remaining suspects were continuing. More detention warrants were issued in the Central Anatolian province of Konya for 70 suspects, including 43 serving soldiers.
The Konya-based nationwide simultaneous raids conducted across 23 provinces are ongoing, Anadolu Agency reported. The network of the U.S.-based Fetullah Gülen is widely believed to have been behind the July 2016 coup attempt, which left 250 people killed and nearly 2,200 injured.
A Turkish court on May 21 sentenced 104 people to life in prison for involvement in the failed military coup in 2016, in one of the heaviest penalties given since the attempt. Back on May 18, a court in Istanbul handed down heavy jail terms to 63 suspects including ex-military students and officers for taking part in the 2016 defeated coup in Turkey, according to a judicial source. Source
104 sentenced to aggravated life imprisonment over July 15 coup attempt
An İzmir court on Monday handed down aggravated life sentences to 104 of 137 suspects for their alleged role in a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.
On Friday an Istanbul court sentenced 57 air force cadets to life and six others to aggravated life for their alleged role in the failed coup attempt.
In January, another İstanbul court ruled for aggravated life sentences for 23 military members and life sentences for 35 military personnel for attempting to change the constitutional order by means of the coup attempt in July 2016. Read the full article
587 detained in one week over alleged Gülen links
A total of 587 people have been detained in the past week due to alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, the Turkish Interior Ministry announced on Monday. Police detained 10,472 people over alleged links to the movement in the first four months of 2018.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government pursued a crackdown on the Gülen movement following corruption operations in December 2013 in which the inner circle of the government and then-Prime Minister Erdoğan were implicated. Erdoğan also accuses the Gülen movement of masterminding a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016.
Despite the movement strongly denying involvement in the failed coup, Erdoğan launched a witch-hunt targeting the movement following the putsch. According to The European Commission (EC) report on April 17, “since the introduction of the state of emergency on July 20,2016, over 150 000 people were taken into custody, 78 000 were arrested and over 110 000 civil servants were dismissed.” Source